Below you’ll find the most popular resources sellers use to create and source designs for their products.
Create your own designs
There are lots of tools available you can use to create designs to sell on Teespring products, and the best part is you don’t have to be a graphic designer to use them! 😉 Here are some of the top platforms Teespring sellers report using to create their product designs.
- PlaceIt: This platform enables you to easily create product designs, promotional assets, lifestyle mockups and more. If you sign up with Teespring you’ll get an additional 20% off for life!
- Typorama: This app gives you access to over 40 different text options, the ability to edit colors and shadows, or add filters and overlays to your images. Their transparent background option makes it easy to create slogans and text-based designs too.
- Canva: With Canva you can choose from premade templates, stock photos, cartoon images, shapes, icons, and more when creating a design. Similar to Teespring’s text tool, Canva also has a text generator with over 100 different fonts to choose from.
- Creative Fabrica: This platform recently announced they offer a full POD license for sellers who want to use purchased designs to sell on products. It’s not uncommon for people to purchase design elements instead of creating a design from scratch.
Please note whenever purchasing a pre-made design or design element it’s very important to research the design’s license limitations to ensure your design complies with IP laws.
Hiring a designer
There are tons of sites for hiring freelance designers; to ensure that the design you pay for is the one you imagined, we recommend that you come into the agreement with a clear and specific idea for your design. Don’t forget you can ask to see some samples of their work or other tees they’ve designed before sealing the deal. Make sure to clearly explain the type of design you want. Here are a few examples of the details you can share with your designer:
- Provide the exact message of the design and the audience it’s intended for (provide exact text)
- Explain the style you’re aiming for; feel free to find photos and images of ideas and other designs you like, so that you can give specific advice to your designer. (“I want to use a text style like in this design!”)
- Suggest colors you want included in the design (ex. white text with light blue accents or provide exact color codes)
- Suggest specific fonts you like or want incorporated into the design
- Explain the color of the product/background the design will be printed on (ex. the design text should be bright white and blue – it will be printed on dark garments like black and navy so I really want the design to stand out!)
The more details you provide the easier it will be for the designer to create exactly what you’re looking for.
Where to hire a designer
Below is a list of different design sites sellers have reported using. Each site enables you to post a listing or ad with the budget and description of your design and available designers will answer your listing. In most cases you’ll want to ask for a vector file “.eps cs5 format,” with a clear background, or a high quality PNG file (with DPI of at least 300 and a transparent background). Once you have the design you can upload it directly on our website through the Teespring Designer.
- Freelancer.com – A website that aggregates people who are specialists in their field (such as graphic designers) looking for additional work. You choose the hourly rate you’re willing to pay.
- Fiverr – A website where you can find people willing to create designs starting at $5!
- ODesk – A website to hire freelancers. You can either pay someone a flat fee or an hourly rate to create your design.
- Behance – A website that lets you hire creative freelancers. Click “Post A Job” to get started. Though more expensive than the other options, the site also yields substantially more design submissions to choose from.
- Design Spring – A website featuring designers with extensive experience working with tee designs. You can submit a design brief and expect results within 48 to 72 hours. Design Spring is pricier compared to other sites but users have reported positive experiences using this site.
- Upwork – A website wherein you can hire freelance designers for specific design jobs; designer profiles show hourly costs and ratings from previous customers.
- Teespring’s Trusted Designers – In our design support guide you can also find a list of quality designers that are popular with YouTubers and social media influencers who sell merchandise on Teespring.
How much does it cost?
Usually you can pay a designers per hour or per design if they specialize in t-shirt designs. Prices can range greatly depending on the quality and experience of the designer; make sure to check their rates beforehand so there are no surprises when it’s time to pay the bill. Contracting a design can be as little as $5 or over $50…keep in mind more experienced designers (especially those who are familiar with t-shirt designs) usually produce the best results. That being said, if you’re just starting out and don’t have a large design budget to work with the most important aspect of the design is the message – many successful listings have been launched simply using the text-editor tool in the Teespring Designer.